AB 705

AB705 Update


Assembly Bill (AB) 705 is a bill signed by the Governor on October 13, 2017.  The bill requires that a community college district or college maximize the probability that a student will enter and complete transfer-level coursework in English and math within a one-year timeframe and use, in the placement of students into English and math courses, one or more of the following: high school coursework, high school grades, and high school grade point average.

California law AB 705 represents a significant change in the way students are placed. Students may be eligible to enroll in transfer-level math or English classes, or transfer-level courses with additional support.

AB 705 YouTube videoKnow Your Rights: The AB 705 Initiative and What it Means for Students


To be placed in a transfer-level math or English course, students have the following options:

  • Submit their high school transcripts or other documentation along with the High School Data Form to the Assessment Center
  • Use self-reported high school GPA, if high school records are unavailable

Students who have completed college-level English and/or math courses or have taken certain tests (Advanced Placement, SAT, ACT, etc...) should follow the College and/or Test Data process.

We encourage students to talk with a counselor or department advisor about course selection.

Students who feel they need additional language acquisition support may want to take the Credit ESL Placement Test, or talk to a counselor about the ESL sequence at CCSF.

For more information, please also visit the English and Math Department webpages.

New English and Math Placement Models :

Course Placements for ENGLISH

Course Placements for MATH

Course Placements for ESL

Please note that all new, nonexempt students are still required to complete the Assessment and Placement components as part of the matriculation process. Students may be eligible for the transfer-level English and Math courses effective Spring 2019. Please check your placement results myRAM and meet with a counselor to develop your educational plan.



Online High School Data Form or Printable High School Data Form

Online College and/or Test Data Form or Printable College and/or Test Data Form

Online Prerequisite Challenge Form or Printable Prerequisite Challenge Form