Frequently Asked Questions



Q1. How do I apply for Credit Admissions if I am a?

Q2. How do I check my application status?

When you submit your application online, you will receive a confirmation from the application service. Shortly afterwards, you will also receive an email from the college explaining what the next steps in the admissions process are.

Q3. How do I obtain a paper credit admissions application?

Although the standard method to submit your admissions application is online; we understand there are situations which makes this impossible.  You can call (415) 239 - 3285 or send an e-mail to with subject "Information Request".

Q4. What is my enrollment status?

Your enrollment status is based on the number of units you are enrolled in. Please refer below to see what constitutes full time, three quarter time, half time and part time.

  • Full Time - 12.0 or more units
  • 3/4 Time - 9.0 - 11.0 units
  • Half Time - 6.0 - 8.0 units
  • Part Time - Less than 6 units



Q1. If I have received an "incomplete", when will it be removed, and a final grade assigned?

The Incomplete will be removed based on a mutually agreed upon date between the student and instructor, otherwise, if work is not completed, a predetermined final grade will be assigned one day before final exams in the following semester of attendance.

Q2. What is Academic Renewal/Exclusion, and how do I apply for it?

A student may petition to have grades of "D" or "F" (for courses taken at CCSF only) excluded from their grade point average calculation when certain conditions are met, including but not limited to the following.

A student must have completed a minimum of 24-degree applicable semester units with a GPA of 2.0- or 12-degree applicable semester units with a GPA of 3.0

One or more years must have elapsed since the grades of "D" or "F" to be excluded were recorded on the student’s academic record.

The petition of Academic Renewal/Exclusion is available at Admissions and Records, MUB 188.

For further details on conditions and limitations, please see the Academic Renewal/Exclusion section of the Academic Policies and Procedures in the CCSF catalog and/or consult an academic counselor.



Q1. Do I need to see a counselor if I want to file a petition for graduation?

Yes, students need to see a counselor before submitting a graduation petition.

Q2. Can you tell me what the graduation requirements are and what my catalog right is?

Since every student's situation is different, you are strongly urged to see a counselor prior to petitioning for graduation.

Q3. What documents do I need to bring if I want to get my international transcripts evaluated?

Student can pick up a handout from the A&R counter regarding requesting for evaluation of international transcript. Details of required documentations and instructions are clearly explained in the handouts.

Q4. How can I get a duplicate diploma?

Students need to complete a “Request for Duplicate Diploma" form and mail back to A&R with payment (check or money order only). The cost is US $10.

Q5. How can I get an IGETC certificate?

Students should start the IGETC process by seeing a counselor at the Transfer Center. Counselor approves/signs all IGETC paperwork which will be brought to A&R by student. A&R certifies and mail out the IGETC cert.

Q6. If my graduation petition was denied, who should I talk to?

Student should bring the denied petition to a counselor. Counselors will explain why it was denied and will advise on what needs to be addressed.



Q1. How is California residency determined?

A student must live in the state of California for one year and one day before the residence determination date of the semester they plan to attend. The residence determination date is always one year and one day before the first day of instruction. During the year preceding the start of the semester, a student must also be in an immigration status that allows them to establish California residence.

Per California state law, conduct considered inconsistent with either establishing or maintaining California residence includes:

1.Maintaining voter registration and voting in another state.

2.Being a petitioner for divorce or lawsuit as a resident in another state.

3.Attending an out-of-state institution as a resident of that state.

4.Declaring non-residence for California income tax purposes.

Please note, even if you are currently a resident of California, engaging in any of the activities above may cause you to lose your California residency.

Q2. What should I do of I think that I have been classified as a non-resident student in error?

Please review the guidelines for California residency. If you think you meet the requirements, you may submit documentation verifying your California residence.
The type of documentation necessary to prove your California residence will depend on the reason you were classified as a non-resident student.

Some examples of documentation a student may submit to verify physical presence in California for a year are a residential lease signed in California: a utility
statement; a California ID or driver's license; CA DMV auto registration or earnings statements for employment in California. All documents must have the student's
name and California address on them and must cover the residence determination date of the semester the student is applying for.

Students who want to verify they have lived in California for a year, in an immigration status that allows them to establish California residence, may submit documentation from USCIS indicating their immigration status. The documentation must verify the student has had an immigration status that allows them to establish California residence for a year before the residence determination date of the semester they plan to attend.
(See immigration guidelines below)

Please note, some students may still need to submit additional documentation to verify they have established California residence.

Documentation may be submitted in one of four ways: by mail to the address below; by fax at (415)239-3936; by email to; or in person at the
Admissions in MUB 188 of the Ocean Campus. Please be sure your student ID number is on all documentation you submit.

City College of San Francisco
Attn:  Residency Dept
50 Frida Kahlo Way, MUB 188
San Francisco, CA 94112

Q3. What types of immigration status allow a student to establish California residence?

Students who have the following immigration status may establish California residence if they have held this status for a year before the residence determination date of the semester they plan to attend:

3,E-1/E-2,G-1/G-2/G-3/G-4/G-5,H-1B/H-1C/H-4,K-1/K2/K-3/K-4,L-1/L-2,O-1/O-3 and R-1/R-2,T-1,U

(They must also have lived in California for a year before the residence determination date)

Q4. Which visa types do not allow a student to establish California Residence?

Aliens holding the following visas: B-1/B-2,C-1/C-2/C-3/C-4,D-1/D-2,F-1/F-2/F-3,H-2A/H-2B/H-3,J-1/J-2,M-1/M-2/M-3,0-2,P-1/P-2/P-3/P-4,Q-1/Q-2/Q-3,S-5/S-6,TN,TD,TWOV, and WT

Q5. I had an immigration status that did not allow me to establish California residency when I arrived in the United States. I have now applied to change my immigration
status to one that will allow me to establish California residence. Will I now be charged the California resident rate?

The one year necessary to establish California residence will begin from the date CCSF can verify a student was either granted or began pending receipt of an immigration status that allows them to establish California residence. The one-year requirement must be met by the residence determination date of the semester the student plans to attend.
(one year and one day before the first day of instruction)

Q6. Can a student's residency be based on their parent’s residency?

Yes, a student, who would not otherwise be considered a resident of California , may derive their California residence from their parent, if the parent is a resident of California and claimed the student as a dependent for tax purposes in the year prior to the student's attendance.

Q7. What is AB540?

AB540 is a state law which exempts certain non-resident students from paying non-resident tuition. To qualify for the exemption, a student must have attended
a minimum of three years of high school in California. The student must also have graduated from high school in California or received a High School Equivalency Certificate in California, a GED in California or California Certificate of Proficiency.

Q8. If I am a U.S. citizen, does AB540 apply to me?

Yes, it does. U.S. citizens, who have lost their California residence while living outside of California, may have their non-resident tuition waived if they meet
the requirements for AB540.

Q9. When can I apply for AB540?

A student may apply for AB540 at any time. To apply, a student must complete a California non-resident Tuition Exemption Request. The forms are also available
in the Admissions Offices of all the CCSF campuses and the Latino Services Network in Cloud Hall, Rm 364.

Q10. Does AB540 make me eligible for financial aid and or / EOPS?

No, it does not. However, you should contact both the Financial Aid Office and EOPS to get more information regarding their programs. The Financial Aid Office is
located in MUB 270 and their phone number is (415)239-3577. The EOPS Office is located behind Smith Hall and their phone number is (415)239-3615.

Student may also want to contact both Latino Services Network and the Scholarships and Grants Office to see if they are eligible for scholarships. Latino Services can be reached at (415)452-5335 and the Scholarship Office can be reached at (415)239-3615.

Q11. Do I meet the residency requirements if I qualify for AB540?

No. A student who qualifies for AB540 will pay the same rate as a resident of California, but they will not be considered a California resident.


Transcript Evaluation

Q1. Why do I have to be enrolled in courses before you will evaluate my transcript(s)?

Because an evaluation in the A&R office is completed for preliminary graduation purposes only (not for initial education plans), and because the process of an evaluation is lengthy process, an evaluation request is never accepted prior to your recommended counseling appointment.

Q2. How can I "add" my first class if I don’t know what CCSF will accept from my other schools?

Your academic counselor will assist you in determining your initial educational plan based on completed coursework from other schools along your intended educational goal at CCSF. CCSF accepts lower division ,degree applicable outside coursework from schools that are accredited by a CCSF recognized accrediting body.
CCSF also accepts upper division coursework (based on the same accrediting criteria), with the appropriate department approval, for area requirements. Upper division coursework may also fulfill elective unit requirements if appropriate.

Q3. Why won’t CCSF use my general education courses that I completed at another school, for its general education graduation requirement when it did meet the graduation requirement at my other school?

Each institution defines which of their own coursework will satisfy their general education requirements. What this means is that for an outside course to meet a specific CCSF area requirement, it must be evaluated for equivalent course content.

Q4. Why do I need to provide official transcripts to your department for my English GE requirement if matriculation has already waived English for me?

CCSF, along with the state of California, require that all determined degree requirements must be based on official supporting documents such as transcripts.

Q5. Why is it necessary for me to submit all my "outside" transcripts to CCSF when I request an evaluation?

Transcript evaluation is a complicated and lengthy process that requires us to compare all coursework completed. Therefore, it is necessary that all transcripts are submitted at the time of your evaluation request. Coursework from one institution that is on a transcript from another institution cannot be evaluated. A separate official transcript must be submitted for each school.


High School Concurrent Enrollment Program

Q1. What is the Concurrent High School Enrollment Program?

Students currently attending high school, who meet the CCSF requirements, may sign up for City College courses and attend both institutions within the same semester.

Q2. What are the requirements to participate in the Concurrent Enrollment High School Program?   

Have already completed 120 high school credits

Q3. Can I enroll in more than one class?

Concurrently enrolled high school students are permitted to enroll in a maximum of up to eleven (11) units for Fall and Spring semesters or eight (8) units for Summer semester.

Q4. Will I get high school credit for the classes I take at City College?

When enrolled at City College and registered for classes, you will receive college credit which can go towards a degree/certificate. Your high school will determine whether to give you high school credit for taking a college credit course. City College does not make any decisions for high schools. Please check with your high school counsellor.

Q5. Does City College have any programs that offer high school credit?

It is the determination of the high school the student is attending if high school credit will be given to  a student taking Concurrent/Dual Enrollment courses.  

If you want high school credit only, you can enroll in the high school program within the Transitional Studies Department (415) 920-6042.

         Transitional Studies Department:

Maria Rosales-Uribe, Department Chair

Office – Mission Campus, (415) 920-6042, E-mail:   

We recommend that potential high school students interested in Transitional Studies begin with counseling  services at these locations:

·          John Adams Campus - 1860 Hayes St., (415) 561-1013

·          Mission Campus - 1125 Valencia St., (415) 920-6043

·          Southeast Campus - 1800 Oakdale St., (415) 550-4372

Q6. How much does it cost to enroll in the Concurrent High School Enrollment Program?

Enrollment is free for California residents. Additionally, enrollment fees are waived for non-residents of CA under Senate Bill 2364 except for non-immigrant (this includes F1, B1/B2, J1). High school students who are not eligible for the Senate Bill 2364 waiver are required to pay out-of-state tuition fees. B1/B2 high school visa students are not allowed to take credit courses at City College due to visa limitations. Students are responsible for books, supplies, etc. Please check link for out-of-state tuition.

Q7. What is the process for enrolling in the Concurrent High School Enrollment Program?

1.     Apply and Complete & submit your CCSF Concurrent High School On-line Application.

2.     Complete the High School Concurrent Enrollment Permission/Consent Form. Request an official transcript from your high school district. 

3.     Submit copy of the following documents to the Office of Admissions & Records:  .

A)     One High School official transcript.

B)      Completed High School Concurrent Enrollment Consent/Permission Form.

Important Notice: Please indicate a first, second, third or fourth choice for course selection on the Consent Form.

If you are approved to take courses other than English or Math or courses with no English or Math prerequisite, you may skip this step.

If you plan to take any English or Math courses or any courses with English or Math prerequisite, the CCSF Admissions & Records will forward your high school transcript to the Matriculation Office and you will receive your appropriate English and Math placement based on your high school transcript data. Please check your CCSF email account for your placement report.

City College has established prerequisites and co requisites to ensure that students have the skill level necessary to succeed in a course. If you wish to challenge a course prerequisite, please submit the Prerequisite Challenge Form. You may also use the same form to challenge any course prerequisite that is not an English or Math course.


Please submit appropriate forms and supporting documents to the Matriculation Office by:

·         Email:; or

·         Fax: (415) 452-5127; or

·         In-Person in Conlan Hall 203: Matriculation Office Hours of Operation


4.   Complete CCSF Orientation online.


Q8. What is the deadline to apply?

Please visit High School Concurrent enrollment web page for deadlines.


CCSF Semester

Concurrent Enrollment Application & Enrollment Deadline


Classes Begin

Spring 2020

January 9, 2020

January 13, 2020

Q9.  What is the procedure for Concurrently Enrolled High School Students, who interested in attending more than one- semester?

For each subsequent semester of enrollment, you must submit a new High School Concurrent Enrollment Permission/Consent Form to the Office of Admissions & Records, MUB 188 by the published deadline date.

Q10. Can I add a class?

You can add a class during the add/drop period only if you have completed the enrollment steps (see Question #7). All adds are at the discretion of the instructor and can only be processed if your principal/designee has recommended the same course. If you are accepted into a course that is not on your Consent Form, you must obtain and complete a new form.

Q11.   I tried to apply or register on-line, and it would not allow me.  What is the problem?

If you are a current student and have submitted your Consent/Permission Form to the High School Enrollment Coordinator, you should be able to add classes via myRAM Portal.

If you are getting an error message saying that you "need approval to take this course" please ensure you have submitted all documentation to the High School Enrollment Coordinator in Admissions & Records to give you access to register for classes.

Concurrent/Dual High School students can register for approved classes via myRAM Portal.  Please see link for add/drop instructions:

If you are having difficulty applying on line through OpenCCC Apply, please call 1-877-247-4836 for assistance.


Q12.   Are Concurrently Enrolled High School Students allowed to take physical education (PE) classes?

No, City College of San Francisco does not permit Concurrently Enrolled High School Students to enroll in physical education courses. (Title 5 Regulation, Section 55002). See  Admissions and Enrollment Policies for Special Part-time Students.

Q13. I am graduating from high school and am a concurrently enrolled student at CCSF, do I need to reapply?

Yes, you will need to apply. If you are no longer a concurrently enrolled high school student or have graduated from high school, you must apply for Admission as a regular college student (Make sure you apply as a first-time college student). Please visit for further information.

Q14. Do concurrent enroll high school students receive priority registration?

Per Education Code; (Title 3.Div 7.part 47.ch1.art1.76001.e) the governing board of a community college district shall assign a low enrollment priority to special part-time (i.e. High School Student) described in subdivision (a) in order to ensure that these students do not displace regularly admitted students.

Q15. Can Undocumented High School Students Participate in Concurrent Enrollment?

Yes, under CA law AB 2364, undocumented and DACA high school students can participate in concurrent enrollment and can apply to have the non-resident tuition fee waived. 

Q16. I have additional questions; is there a number I can call?

You may contact the Office of Admissions and Records call (415) 239-3847 or 415-239-3288 or e-mail: