Residency For Tuition Purposes



NOTE:  An individual cannot establish residency if he/she entered the country unlawfully or under a visa which requires the individual to maintain residence outside the United States, or that he/she entered the United States solely for a temporary purpose.  An individual is precluded from establishing domicile in the United States and shall NOT be classified as a resident of this state if he/she holds a visa of these types.



  FALL 2018         08/17/2017
  SPRING 2019    01/13/2018       
  SUMMER 2019     06/09/2018
  FALL 2019     08/16/2018
  SPRING 2020
  SUMMER 2020    06/07/2019
  FALL 2020    08/14/2019

All documents submitted for residency review must have student's name or parents'/legal guardians' names, CA address (no PO Box), and must be dated on or  before the determination date to qualify for that semester.


How can a non-resident student establish CA residency?

To petition for reclassification as a CA resident, you must satisfy these following conditions: immigration status, intent, physical presence and financial independence. Students who are under these visa types are allowed to establish residency as long as it also date back one year and one day before the start of the semester. Students must have documents that show evidence of intent to make CA your home for purposes other than education, and evidence of physical presence in CA dating back one year and one day before the start of the semester.

To petition for residency review, please complete the California Residency Reclassification form and provide the necessary documents as indicated below. For more information of how to establish residency, please visit the Residency Department, located in Conlan Hall Room 107 at the Ocean Campus or call 415-239-3287, or email


Immigration Status:

Students and/or parents must be in an eligible immigration status in order to establish CA residency. Students who are in process of status adjustment can establish residency as long as that new pending status allows you to establish residency and the receipt date must date one year before the determination date to qualify for that semester. Students who are under these VISA types are NOT eligible to establish residency for however long you stay in the United States. The following documents are examples that we use to verify your immigration status include, but are not limited to:

  • I-589 asylum/refugee receipt
  • I-797 Notice of Action letter from USCIS
  • U.S. Employment of Authorization Card
  • U.S. Permanent Residence card
  • U.S. Naturalization Certificate
  • U.S. Citizen ID Card
  • Copy of visa status


Intent to Remain in California:

Intent to make California your home for other than a temporary purpose may be demonstrated in several ways. The following documents are acceptable forms of intent. Documents must have the students name, CA address, and must not be older than two years:

  • Current California driver’s license or Department of Motor Vehicles documentation of California driver’s license. – CA state law requires a resident driver to obtain a California driver’s license within 10 days from the date residence is established.
  • California Identification Card.
  • California Motor Vehicle registration – California Registration Certificate.
  • Federal and State tax records consistent with CA domicile - forms 1040 and 540 or 540NR (note, any 540NR form submitted must show part year CA resident and the date residency in CA began. 540NR tax returns showing domicile in another state will not be accepted as evidence of intent.
  • Benefits or public assistance from the state of CA - EDD, Cash-Aid, CalFresh, Covered CA or Medi-Cal, etc. 
  • Verification of California Voter Registration-Voter Registration Card.
  • Documentation of purchase and occupancy of residential real estate in California – loan papers, tax receipts, escrow paper.
  • Maintaining permanent military address or home of record in California while in armed forces – DD214 and DD2058.
  • Petition for a divorce in California – legal document.
  • Official license from California Department of Consumer Affairs for Business or Individual practice.


Physical Presence:

You must have been physically present in California for one year and one day before the first day of the term you wish to be classified as a California resident. The following documents are acceptable to prove physical presence. The document cannot be older than two years:
  • Bank account statements
  • Utility bills (PG&E, Recology)
  • Cellphone or landline billing statement
  • W2 wage and tax statement (must submit the last two years' W2 statements).
  • 1099-MISC
  • Paycheck stubs
  • Official lease or rental agreement


Financial Independence:

Unmarried students who are under 24 years old must demonstrate how you are financially supported in the state of CA. PLEASE NOTE: students who are dependents and being claimed for tax exemption outside of California are not eligible to establish California residency even with proof of intent and physical presence. Students who filed tax returns outside of California the last two tax year will be asked to provide proof of filing in-state to qualify for residency.

These documents include, but are not limited to:

  • Tax returns (Federal 1040 and CA 540/540NR)
  • Paystubs
  • W2s
  • 1099-MISC
  • CA public assistance (EDD, CalFresh,Cash-Aid)
  • Financial Aid Awards letter


Non-Resident Tuition Exemptions/Exceptions:

  • Active military personnel are exempt from non-resident tuition fees provided they are in California for a purpose other than attending a state-supported institution of higher learning.
  • Dependents of military personnel stationed on active duty in California are given a waiver of non-resident fees.
  • Recently separated military member (veterans) can qualify for AB13 Veterans Non-resident tuition waiver. Please contact our Veterans Office for assistance. 
  • Students who qualify for AB540 California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request Waiver. Please note, nonimmigrant aliens except for T and U visa holders are not eligible for this exemption.
  • Education Code section 68075.6 grants an immediate nonresident tuition fee exemption to eligible Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) holders and refugee students who settled in California upon entering the United States. This exemption is granted for one year from the date the student settled in California upon entering the United States. This exemption applies to the following: 
    • Iraqi citizens or nationals (and their spouses and children) who were employed by or on behalf of the United States Government in Iraq (, Section 1244)
    • Afghan and Iraqi translators (and their spouses and children) who worked directly with the United States Armed Forces (Pub.L.No.109-163, Section 1059)
    • Afghanistan nationals who were employed by or on behalf of the U.S. government or in the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan (Pub.L.No.111-8, Section 602)
    • Refugee students admitted to the United States under Section 1157 of Title 8 of the United States Code.

Non-California Residents:

Students who can't establish California residency and not qualify for non-resident exemptions/exceptions as of the day immediately preceding the first day of the semester are required to pay the non-resident tuition fees. Please contact our Registration Department for payment options, refund request, and drop deadlines.

Registration Department

50 Frida Kahlo Way, MUB 130B

San Francisco, CA 94112




Note: Students who are in the process of requesting a change of residency status must meet the fee obligation and refund deadlines for each course in which they are enrolled. Students are responsible for dropping their classes before the refund deadlines or risking of owing the tuition fees.