How To Enroll In Credit Classes


City College has an open admissions policy. You are eligible to attend if you meet at least one of the following requirements:
• You will be 18-years-old as of the first day of instruction, or
• You are a high school graduate, or
• You are the equivalent of a high school graduate (you have passed the GED    or a state’s high school proficiency examination).

NOTE: The above requirements are general; other factors may determine if you are eligible.

NOTE: Prospective students should apply for admission as soon as possible to complete the matriculation process and maintain the best chance of enrolling in preferred classes. Apply for admission online here.


All new students must establish themselves as residents or non-residents of California. A student must be a U.S. citizen or possess an immigration status that allows for the establishing of residency. Residency is the physical presence in California (one year and one day prior to the first day of instruction) and evidence of intent to make California your permanent home. Evidence of intent could include at least two of the following: voting in California elections, paying state income tax, obtaining a California driver’s license, registering a motor vehicle, maintaining continuous residence in California. Acts of intent must be accomplished for one year.  For more information on Residency, click here.

NOTE: These requirements are general; other factors apply to individuals who have entered the U.S. with a particular visa type. Information regarding the different visa types and their limitations is available in the Residency Department, Conlan Hall E107, (415) 239-3287, or email


Residents of other countries may apply for admission as F-1 Students through the Foreign Student Program. The U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services does not allow international students with B-1 or B-2 visas to apply at U.S. community colleges.

For additional information, please click here.


It is the policy of the college to ensure equal educational opportunity for all students. Matriculation at CCSF is a process which assists students in developing and realizing their educational goals. All credit students, unless exempt, are required to participate in the matriculation process.


Each matriculated student is entitled to:
1. Participate in the development of a Student Educational Plan,
2. Challenge any prerequisite based on the criteria outlined in the CCSF Prerequisite / Co-requisite Challenge            Process below,
3. Review the California Community Colleges Matriculation regulations and exemption criteria approved by the         Board of Trustees of City College of San Francisco, and
4. File an appeal with the Director of Student Advocacy Rights and Responsibilities if he/she feels that he/she has     not been given the opportunity to receive the necessary matriculation service.

Each matriculated student is expected to:
1.    Declare an educational goal following the completion of 15 semester units,
2.    Attend classes regularly and complete assigned course work,
3.    Participate in the development of a Student Educational Plan.

Matriculation Exemption Policy
All new students enrolling in credit classes are expected to participate in the Matriculation process to receive an earlier registration date.  However, you may be excused from participation in assessment, orientation, or education planning if you meet any of the criteria below:

  • Student has already earned an A.A./A.S. Degree or higher (U.S. accredited institutions only)
  • Student's educational goals do not include:

            Transfer to a college or university or

            Attainment of certificate, degree or basic skills (i.e., math, English, ESL)

            Career development

  • Student is enrolling in courses mandated by industry or licensure standards



All new and readmitted students must file an application for admission with the Office of Admissions and Records. The most convenient and efficient method of applying for admission is online at

Readmit Students
If you have previously completed classes at CCSF but did not attend classes during the last two semesters, (excluding summer) you are considered a readmit student. You must complete and submit a new application at

Currently enrolled students
If you are enrolled in classes in the current semester, you are considered a continuing student for the following semester. Therefore, you do not have to file an application. Please refer to the registration procedures at Step Five.


AB 705

With the newly enacted Assembly Bill 705, students may receive English and Math course placements using high school performance data in addition to placement tests. To find out more information about the legislation and options to complete the assessment step, please go to our AB 705 page.

Please meet with an academic counselor to develop your education plan in preparation for the new semester!

About AB 705 Math & English Placement Change 
Beginning Spring 2019, placement exams for Math and English are no longer the only way to secure placement in transfer-level courses. This is due to the passage of law  AB  705, which provides several new options to students if their exam results do not provide them with access to transfer-level courses. Students may use their U.S. high school data to be placed into English and Math courses without taking the English and Math placement tests.

Please visit the AB 705 webpage for more information.

Get Your Math & English Placement Course Information 
View your English and Math course placement based on the new English and Math course placement models per AB 705 by logging into  Web4. You can review your course placement, Web Registration Appointment and other related information. Students who feel they need additional language acquisition support may want to take the Credit ESL Placement Test or talk to an academic counselor about the ESL sequence.

For students who wish to take the placement tests, please click here for more information.

Students may be excused from the placement tests if they:

  • Have an A.A. Degree or higher
  • Do not intend to transfer to a college or university or attain a certificate, degree
  • Do not intent to enroll in ESL, English, or Math classes or in other classes which have ESL, English, or Math prerequisites

You may obtain an Exemption Form from the Matriculation Office in Conlan Hall, Room 204; or online by clicking here. For further information, call (415) 239-3751 or email


The orientation session will focus on enrollment procedures, test score interpretation and information about educational programs and student support services that students need to know upon enrollment. Consult the Orientation Schedule for the dates of the orientation sessions. See or complete Orientation online at


All new students are required to meet with a counselor prior to registering for classes, unless exempted. The counselor will assist them in selecting their classes.


Continuing Students will receive their registration appointments via e-mail. Students may also obtain a duplicate copy online at PLEASE NOTE: In order for new and readmit students to receive an appointment, they must complete STEP 1.

In an effort to go “green,” we are going paperless. All Admissions, Registration and Fee correspondence will be sent electronically. Please refer to for information regarding your official CCSF email account.

Registration Center Office (Smith Hall Room 118) Hours Monday-Thursday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Friday: 8 a.m.-2 p.m.


The Student Photo ID Office is located in Smith Hall Room 118, at the Ocean Campus. Hours of operation are posted and may be subject to change throughout the semester. Other campus locations will be announced in the future. You must bring a copy of your current course registration and one other form of photo identification such as driver’s license, state ID card, passport, etc. It is important that you carry your ID card with you at all times. The card is required for identification purposes when utilizing college resources such as the library or computer labs. Your initial card is free. Lost cards may be subject to a charge.


The Add period begins with the first day of instruction and continues through the first three weeks of the semester for regular full-term classes. Check the online time schedule, for the last day to add and a listing of other deadline dates for both full and short term courses - To add a course, go to the class you want to attend with your priority registration ticket. If there is space in the class you will be given a four digit add permit code from the instructor. Once you have this code and the five digit CRN number, you can complete the Add procedure using WEB4 or in person by filling out an Add/Drop Form and processing it with the Registration Center (Smith Hall 118).


You are solely responsible to drop or withdraw from classes to avoid any fee assessment or permanent grade notation on your permanent record. Check the online time schedule for a listing of deadline dates. You should  drop or withdraw through WEB4 (Monday-Sunday 6 a.m.-11:45 p.m.) commencing with the First Day of Instruction through the Last Day for Student or Instructor Initiated Withdrawal. To view the listing of deadline dates for full or short term courses,  go to


Students who have withdrawn from the same course four times and received a “W” on his/her record will not be allowed to register for the same course without filing a Petition for Exemption to Withdrawal Policy (California Code of Regulations, T5 Section 55024 (a))
Petition for Exemption to Withdrawal Policy is available in the Office of Student Affairs, Conlan Hall E107.